Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your go-to web browser for 2023?

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2023

Following up on our discussion from 2021 regarding your preferred browser and the reasons behind that choice, I'm keen to revisit the topic.

My own choice has certainly evolved. Here's a look back at my preferred browser in 2021https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Tech-discussions/What-s-your-go-to-web-browser-for-2021/td-p/1604306

2023 updates...

While Brave remains an integral part of my daily workflow, Arc has increasingly caught my eye and is on its way to becoming my primary browser this year. So many features improved my productivity and browsing experience, so I recommend trying it out. My favourites are the Little Arc and the new Arc Max—browsing with AI.

In both browsers, the vertical tabs setting is my default. Once you go vertical, there is no coming back.

What about you? Two years on, have your preferences evolved?

5 comments

Comment

Rohan Martin October 9, 2023

Call me a luddite but I'm a mix of Chrome and Safari depending on which computer I'm working on and where I've happened to save my bookmarks. Part of this is laziness on my part (they work for all my use cases), part of this is because company policy only allows for these, and another part is that all the documentation that I write is viewed by people who use these browsers exclusively, so knowing that what I've created works correctly in them is important.

Like Ivan Lima likes this
Eric Anderson October 10, 2023

For the most part,
Brave = Chrome minus Chrome's spyware to snoop on and profit from your web use.

They started from the codebase for Chrome and remove the unwelcome bits.  I would expect that there would be significant compatibility of features.  This extends even to compatibility of using the same browser extensions between Chrome and Brave.

That said, I can understand if you want to be certain of no surprises or even superficial appearance differences and prefer to stick with actual Chrome.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2023

Still Vivaldi and nipping over to Firefox when I need to do stuff with a non-chrome-based browser.  (Or when I'm using a low-power computer - Vivaldi is great, but it does need a good size working space in the memory)

I tried vertical tabs in Vivaldi several times, they have some appeal, but ultimately don't work for me.

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2023

I never paid much attention to Vivaldi, but it has most of the features I like in Brave and some I like in Arc, such as multiple pages side by side. Perhaps I can give it a try. Safari is still my non-chrome-based browser, mainly for testing stuff, nothing else.

It's interesting how vertical tabs make so much sense to me. I realize that most tools I use daily are all mostly vertical: Outlook, Slack, Office, AWS Console, Atlassian, etc. I still feel it should have a better organization that doesn't really require it when horizontal.

Eric Anderson October 10, 2023

Yes, my thoughts about web browsers have evolved since my first response to that former discussion.

On iOS or iPadOS (at least, I don't know about Android), both Brave and Safari have a setting that will automatically Close Tabs that are unused for some period of time (e.g. a day, a week, or a month) in contrast to having to manually close all tabs.  While I like to start a session where I left off before, I find that it is far too easy for a large number of tabs to accumulate.  Tabs that I might have wanted to revisit later can get lost in the crowd.  By setting an automatic time limit for tabs that have remained unused, that is a valued benefit for tab management.

I would very much like to see this feature on desktop browsers as well.

I am unfamiliar with Arc (first time I've heard of it).  Does anyone know whether it supports automatically closing unused tabs after reaching a chosen time limit?  In fact, some reviews of mobile Arc seem to cast doubt on whether it even allows many simultaneously open tabs.  (It looks like Arc takes a "different approach" that I'm not yet familiar with.)

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2023

Yes. By design, Arc archives tabs after a day, If I'm not mistaken. I believe you can configure that. Arc mobile is not that great. I think they're focusing on getting the desktop version stable first. In my opinion, among other features, they stand out because of the flexibility of vertical tabs and how you can organize them. Still, it's for early adopters and seems to be attracting more of the content creator's community for now. Large enterprises are more strict, so these new things take longer to land on, which makes sense.

paisa loto
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 21, 2023

My go to web browser for 2023 is xnxubd vpn browser. This is a great browser that helps me avoid geographical barriers. And I can easily access everything on the internet and it helps me avoid all restrictions set by my country or internet provider. I really love it. 

Like Rohan Martin likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2023

Vivaldi works very well for me, but if it goes along with google's howling downgrade of chrome-based browsers, I'll be looking for another one (one that dumps the AI ideally, given the utter garbage I've had from it)

Like Rohan Martin likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events