Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs & Careers Month discussion: What’s on your career bucket list?

Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 18, 2023

j+c month banner.jpeg

In the penultimate week for Jobs & Careers Month, we’d like to take a little look into the future! When thinking about your future career path, what is something on your career bucket list?

Would you like to travel more for your work? Perhaps you’d like to become a thought leader in your industry? Maybe for the near future, you’re hoping for a promotion. For me, I’m hoping to lead a team one day in the future!

Whether it’s a big ticket item or a smaller one, we’d like to hear what you’re hoping to check off your career bucket list! 

PS: Don’t forget, we have a Zoom background for you all to try out this month! Check it out here: https://brandfolder.com/s/9wh49q993ng7jpxrs7q3kq98

28 comments

Comment

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2023

Even though I am happy with my current position, there are still things that I would like to experience. There is no time frame on them, some items might be a one time only thing and they don't always align with each other.

Here they are, in no particular order

• Become a managing director
  • Become self employed
  • Remote developer (I need to learn how to code first)
  • Remote Atlassian consultant
  • Have multiple streams of income

I guess, the ultimate dream is to have enough streams of income that I can sustain myself with only a few hours of work each week and spend the rest on things that I want. And yes, that could even be more work but being able to choose when, where and how you work while being able to spend time with your friends, family and hobbies is for me, the definition of freedom.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 19, 2023

Super interesting list you have there, Paul! I think having multiple streams of income really does sound appealing.

Like # people like this
Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2023

Enough streams of income and early financial Independence.

I appreciate and support your mindset Paul.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2023

I would love to become the go-to person for whatever career path I take. When I was teaching, I was often the person people came to regarding a variety of topics (technology was one of them, haha!) I miss being the most knowledgeable person on a specific topic since I'm still figuring so much out!

Although, I'm at my team retreat this week and have found that many folks on my team see me as the go-to person for lots of things, so perhaps I'm just being critical of myself. 

I'd also like to network more with local folks since I've only worked in remote positions since leaving teaching.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

Being the go-to person can be so fulfiling! It definitely sounds like you may be closer to this goal than you realise, Amanda 😊

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2023

Exactly my thoughts Amanda, the go-to person (for whatever reason). Being a beacon.

Like # people like this
Ditte Simard
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2023

@Amanda Barber - I have the same dream!  My ultimate goal is to be the go-to person for Atlassian products at my company.  I would like to teach teams how to customize their Jira projects and dashboards to get the data they want and teach Scrum Masters how to use the plugins we have to their full potential.  My company is very very good at teaching Agile principles and ways of working but we are missing the "this is how you apply that in the tool" piece.  I always recommend that folks check out the free courses on the Atlassian University website but I think we (my company) need some extra learning opportunities that teach how we are using the tools and how we want others to use it.  
I am slowly expanding my sphere of influence by teaching micro-learning sessions at my company's Community of Practices.  Maybe you can do the same!  Your teaching background would give you a major leg-up, so to speak.  :)

Like # people like this
Saralie S.
Community Manager
September 20, 2023

Love hearing your thoughts, always @Amanda Barber 

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2023

Getting my Six Sigma Black Belt would be good to have, but I don't see a lot of value at my current employer, and there are no plans of changing that.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

Hope everything aligns for you to get your Six Sigma Black Belt one day, Dan! 😊

Like # people like this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2023

The one thing I am really aiming for this year is to get my Atlassian Expert its been on my target but this is the year. I am only 2 more certs away. So this is been my side focus of the year.

On top of that I am building a team at Sentify and its full of awesome challenges and planning. I am also hoping to nail that well. We will see if anything it will be full of learning opportunities.

Here's to learning always.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

Love these goals, Aaron! 😄

Like Ankush Bora likes this
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2023

I would love to try a longer workation.

This is definitely possible with my current job, but needs to be planed ahead a little bit with family.

I also would love to strengthen my ITIL skills and maybe achieve the new ITIL Master certification.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

A longer workation sounds wonderful, Kai! 🏝️💻

Like Kai Becker likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

@Kai Becker I live in California and spent six weeks this summer working/housesitting in Amsterdam, and I highly recommend it! It went by really fast. 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2023

I am hoping that my next stop in my career will be more consultative and not in a fixed position at a specific company. I'd like to take on a fractional role assisting a company or companies in early development stages with setting up the framework they will need to scale and succeed. It would be only part time and I'd like to retire the 40+ hour work week I have been grinding at for 25 years and spend my reclaimed time cycling, researching, writing and travelling - and maybe even publishing.  

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

Definitely sounds like you deserve a nice shift in the way you work, Andy! 😊

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2023

Great idea @Andy Gladstone! That sounds lovely! I've always wanted to be a consultant too. 

Sayed Bares [ServiceRocket]
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2023

In the short run, I would like to use my time more efficiently and develop my expertise in multiple industries, perhaps working part-time in some of them.

In the long term, I want to retire and start my own business in tourism industry. That way I can be on vocation full-time.

Like Angelie Stephens likes this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

Thank you for sharing both your short and long term goals, Sayed! Full-time vacation sounds like something to look forward to for sure 😄

Like Monique vdB likes this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2023

I'm so close to the end of the job run.  My next big wish career wise is a retirement party.

Like # people like this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

What a great milestone you have to look forward to, Craig! 😄

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

@Craig Nodwell we'll have to plant a bunch of trees for that, Craig! 🌳

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2023

I have done 2 out of 5 goals:

• Software Development - Done
  • Support - Currently Doing
  • Atlassian Consultant - Not Yet
  • Solution Architect - Not Yet
  • Team Lead - Not Yet

In the end, the most important is to love the job you are doing. Money etc. comes after.

Like Monique vdB likes this
Angelie Stephens
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

Well done for making your way through your goals list, Ram! 😊

vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2023

I am happy with the position and job which I am doing now as DevOps tech support for Atlassian tools. 

My next goal for the next year is to implement Data Center Enterprise Edition (Atlassian Tools) on cloud for my new Client, with my past experience.

Vikram P

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 19, 2023

Someday I'd like to write a book about community! (Shoutout to @Brittany Joiner and her book on Trello.) I promise to quote you all. 😉

Like # people like this
Pragya_Malhotra
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2023

Writing a book is so rewarding @Monique vdB , I really like this one.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2023

Let me know when so I can get on the pre-order list!

Like # people like this
Rosana Aira September 20, 2023

I'm amazed by the answers, they are very inspiring. I have more humble expectations. I would like to keep up to date and if possible specialize in more Atlassian software like becoming an admin.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 20, 2023

@Rosana Aira luckily you're in the right place for that! 😊

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2023

Hi Paul Wiggers

Copy pasting a portion of your content in my comments as we both have and share similar vision board:

No particular order :

• Become a CTO for an organization
  • Remote developer (I need to learn how to code first) and launch applications on Atlassian, Apple and Google.
  • Have multiple streams of income (passive income) when out of job to feed my vision goals and family.
  • Be a Change maker in society protecting our environment.

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2023

I've never thought of a 'career bucket list' before since I feel that a career naturally evolves and that's what's so interesting about it. Follow where your interests blossom and pursue it with your talent and energy.

I do love to travel and I would like to travel more as part of my work. Many people say that when you travel lots for work, it's tiring and you don't appreciate it as much. However, there were naysayers that said I would hate ice cream after working in an ice cream shop as a teenager. And lo and beyond, I still ate and enjoyed ice cream every day 🍦 

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 20, 2023

@carolyn french I got addicted to coffee working at Starbucks, I'm with you! 

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2023

@Angelie Stephens I think I would like to retire a little early and consult for short durations around the world.  This would allow me to travel meet new people and learn about new cultures.

Like # people like this
Prabhu Palanisamy _Onward_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 21, 2023

I want to give opportunity to folks who have the passion but not the experience. I want to hire and train them and see them super successful on their role. Their success is my success and will improve my judgement.

Like # people like this
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2023

My immediate goal is to achieve my Atlassian Certified Expert designation.

Like # people like this
Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2023

Planning to compete at least two Jira certification. 

Like Summer.Hogan likes this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2023

To be completely honest, I am bored at my current position and have started to discuss this with my manager. I have been the Product Owner of the same product (application) for the past 3 years. I know my product and how to do my job so well, I could do it in my sleep. I want to move on to bigger and better things and be challenged. When I get to the point in a position that I am no longer challenged, I get bored and it is hard to stay motivated. So, I would like to get a promotion and officially become a Product Manager! In the long term, I'm with @Andy Gladstone where I would love to be a consultant one day where I freelance and work when I want to and consult on anything from business analysis and product ownership to anything related to process improvement definition. Maybe one day...

Like # people like this
Bert van Dijk _TMC_nl_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2023

I'm happy with the job I have. Most important thing is to combine your work with your personal and family life. I don't have a bucket list at the moment.

David Blank
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 27, 2023

I hope to someday shift my focus from the tactical to the strategic world and focus more of my time on things that influence strategy than things that impact the tactical day to day. 

Agosu Philip October 17, 2023

I'm new within the community and I did love to get involved.

I love work with team towards goal achievement I really want to be part of the team put me through 

Olusoga Damilola October 25, 2023

Product / Project management internship

Nikki DuBois October 29, 2023

As I love what I do as a leader who supports collaboration, agility and visibility/transparency I am VERY interested in becoming an Atlassian employee. 

• Product Manager
  • Atlassian Consultant to support onboarding of tools with other companies.
  • Migration support for Atlassian

These are all things I led internally for our Atlassian implementation and really enjoyed the work involved to support.

Like # people like this
ABR January 29, 2024

Hi! @Angelie Stephens ,

A topic after my heart! I do have a few career goals to achieve in the near future, have been dreaming of them for quite some time now, but not being able to take the final plunge. :D May be all I need is the push from the community.

Here they are in no particular order -

1. Change my work format to work from home / go back to Freelancing

2. Create a couple of well-monetized blogs.

3. Become a best-selling writer - for children and YA audience.

4. Do some great work in the edutainment space. 

While all of them are big goals to begin, it's only first one which truly daunts me.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events