Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A student scholarships journey

Josh Shepherd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2024

Reading this channel... I thought I would share a personal story for inspiration to anyone with kids of the right age. 

My daughter started university last September and when she was finishing her last term of high school the previous spring, she sat us down and told us how she didn't plan on getting a summer job. This raised eyebrows as she was about to spend a huge amount of money on school. Instead, she said she wanted to have a summer to enjoy, and planned spending at least half of every day writing essays and applying to scholarships and grants. She showed us a long list of places to apply that she had researched - many of which go unclaimed if no one applies. 

And that is what she did. Insurance companies, clubs, government, school programs - you name it, she applied for it. I couldn't believe how many she found online. And each application made the next one easier. She finished the summer with about $35000 to her name, far more then she ever would have made at a summer job. We couldn't have been happier to be proven wrong. 

This year, she plans to reapply to a smaller selection of the best ones and work or volunteer in and area where she can get experience in her field - while not feel restrained to only consider the highest paying roles. 

Makes me smile just re-telling this.

3 comments

Comment

Ntamen kamogne harry Michel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2024

WOW!!!!!! IS AMAZING!

Thank you for this sharing 

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2024

That's amazing @Josh Shepherd!  My kids are just starting the primary grades, so university is a long way off, but I will remember this for when they get older.

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2024

That's awesome, @Josh Shepherd !  I'm sure you couldn't be more proud ~ your daughter has a bright future.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events