Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where should a FEATURE be created? Jira vs. Jira Align....

RICHARD S BRAICO March 19, 2024

Can anyone tell me the differences (pros and cons) in creating a feature in Jira align vs. Jira when using the two in conjunction?

I have always created Feature solely in JA however, I have come across an Enterprise that currently only allows the creation of the Feature in Jira. The connector then replicates it in JA.

Thanks

2 comments

Matt Rosenbluth March 19, 2024

Hi Richard,

Generally, there is more meta-data available when created in JA, hence easiest to create in JA and complete the additional info.

Although, you may have additional (custom fields, non-sync able info) in Jira that you is being requested to be completed that may be relevant to the teams, but not necessary in the levels above.

Bottom line, I think it's dealer's choice...

Matt

Like Summer.Hogan likes this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2024

Welcome to the community @RICHARD S BRAICO! I agree with @Matt Rosenbluth that you should use Jira Align for this as there are more fields available and much better mapping for dependencies and risks. But really it's up to you as it should work either way if your integration is setup correctly. 

RICHARD S BRAICO March 19, 2024

Hi @Summer_Hogan Summer, Thanks for your reply. Can you explain "better mapping for dependencies and risks"?

Thanks

Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2024

Hi @RICHARD S BRAICO - yes! In Jira you can relate issues to each other, but there is no real way to do dependency mapping or log risks. Align has a way to both create a dependency and a risk and relate it to an epic or initiative. For lots more information on how it works, I found this Jira Align Atlassian Documentation that I just went through myself that I think will be valuable to you. https://help.jiraalign.com/hc/en-us/sections/115001716828-Risks-and-dependencies 

Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 26, 2024

Oh @RICHARD S BRAICO one more thing! In Align I love the program board how it shows all epics and dependencies in a PI. It's so helpful to see the epics and which dependencies are mapped to each one. I also love the dependency map! That's a great feature in Align. 

RICHARD S BRAICO March 26, 2024

@Summer_Hogan thanks

Mark Dodrill April 2, 2024

General best practice is to enter Features in Jira Align, and then have them sync to Jira.  For all the reasons listed above, and also so you can link the Features to the parent Epic in Jira Align.  Without parenting them in Jira Align, you can't get the roll-up views with the actual data.

Like RICHARD S BRAICO likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events