Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking input for improvements in automation performance insights

Srini Chakravarthy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2024

Hello friends!

We’re reaching out from the automation team to get your feedback on improving audit logs, performance insights, and general visibility on rule performance and errors. This is an important work stream for our nearer-term roadmap to deliver Enterprise-grade performance and reliability.

We’d love to hear from you about use cases in which better information, logging, and analytics are needed. Top-of-mind topics we’re keen to explore include:

1. What aspects of rule performance and errors are important?
  2. How do you intend to use this information?
  3. How often do you want this information, i.e., real-time or periodically?
  4. What’s the best way for you to consume this information, i.e., export to CSV, in automation views with filters?
  5. General feedback on managing rule performance insights and audit logs at scale 

Please feel free to book a time here to chat in person. I appreciate your help in advance!

Thank you!

Srini (Principal PM, Automation)

3 comments

Comment

Masayuki Abe February 13, 2024

@Srini Chakravarthy 

I would prefer to be able to refer directly to the relevant audit log from the Automation Rules audit log link included in the email. If a direct link is difficult, I would like to see "multiple errors" added to the filter criteria.

Currently, we have to query by the time the error occurred.
It takes a long time to reach the relevant audit log.
Like # people like this
Srini Chakravarthy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2024

Thanks for the feedback @Masayuki Abe This is very helpful!

To clarify, when you say "multiple errors" are you looking to see rules that have failed multiple times in a certain time period? 

Masayuki Abe February 14, 2024

@Srini Chakravarthy 

The "Multiple Errors" I have described indicates the status indication in the audit log. I have converted the Japanese notation directly into English and described it.

If the automation rules are successfully executed and I can filter only the queue where the error occurred, I can easily reach the audit log in question without having to go back a page.

Thanks Mark for the supplemental information.
Like Srini Chakravarthy likes this
Mark Benson February 14, 2024

For customers that use Automation in tandem with other addons (eg. AWS Service Management Connector) you seem to have some issues currently with Forge related apps.

Due to limitations with how the Forge platform deals with incoming calls this seems to manifest false rate-limiting type issues where Automation runs intermittently fail with error such as "Actor does not have permission..." or "Too Many Requests" messages in the logs.

These error messages are not terribly helpful as they are either not the true underlying issue or don't help to explain much at all. What's a JSM admin supposed to do with "too many requests" when it's a third party source generating them through an official Jira addon with no adjustments available.

This would be my primary complaint when it comes to reliability at the moment.

I would second Masayuki's comment on it being annoying to find an error (especially if it's on a busy automation job). With my example above it's often pages and pages into the run history before you locate the singular error to review the audit details.

Like Srini Chakravarthy likes this
Srini Chakravarthy
Atlassian Team
February 15, 2024

Thanks @Mark Benson

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2024

@Srini Chakravarthy - are you still seeking feedback? 👋

Was this for Jira Cloud, Confluence Cloud, Jira Data Center, or...?

Srini Chakravarthy
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2024

Hey @Dave Liao Yes, we're always looking for feedback! This is for automation in Jira and Confluence.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events