Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Center Assets

Carla Ann Rowland
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2024

Assets is such a powerful tool. Having this subset of data helps a lot of customers.  It is challenging to learn and I have been learning it since it was an add on. I would like to know how other members of the community have applied it. I have used it for HR (before the template when it was Insight) and building network servers (tracking components).

How have you used it --- simple or complex doesn't matter. ( Of course, share-what you can with out breaking any rules that apply to your workplace)

3 comments

Comment

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2024

Besides using it for asset management we use it for application access approvals, the object has the system owner and the group that the user should be added to when the request gets approved. In HR it is used for the approval process that we have for employee change/transfer, there is an object for each department with different approvers from HR, business, finance etc.

Like # people like this
Carla Ann Rowland
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

Did you utilize the HR assets template or did your customize your tables. I used to work in HR so I know it varies.

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2024

We use it to synchronize our CRM with JSM. We use this data to enrich tickets by automatically providing customer information such as customer ID, company name, registered devices and if they are even allowed to request support.

We also use this information to create portal accounts with their registered email addresses. 

Like # people like this
Carla Ann Rowland
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

"We also use this information to create portal accounts with their registered email addresses." interesting. Can you expand on this point? Am I interpreting correctly that you use additional data in the tables to expand the user's permissions on a SM portal?

Sascha Nothofer February 5, 2024

Insight was a main reason to introduce Jira and Confluence in our company back in 2020.
And Insight is the main reason to stay with Server licenses in 2024 :(

In my vision, the asset management was the powerful knowledge bridge between Confluence and Jira.
We have a lot of things created and imported into the database.
Terminology, HR Files, Regulation Library, Quality Documentation, Measurement Devices, ERP Objects, Service Assets, ... You have an Excel sheet? Why not using Insight instead? It is so easy.
We made everything available in Insight, linked it to issues, page metadata or content. Some objects are imported, others are authored in Insight directly by multiple departments.

In the Atlassian Cloud this is not possible for us because of features and extensions are not available anymore and the "Asset" feature bundled to "Jira Service Management" license is too expensive. We would need a Service Management license for 30 of our 100 users. With 100 users, it is also not an economic solution to switch to Data Center.

Now I have to look for alternatives.

Like # people like this
Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2024

Yeah, Assets being available to other products has been my big ask/request at TEAM the last couple of years and at user groups attended by Atlassians in between the big events.

There are so many use cases for objects with interlinking meta data throughout the products and Insight enabled that.  The current design and intended use case specifically excludes those use cases by attaching it to the Service Management product unfortunately.

Hopeful this will change one day, but haven't really seen any hints of a willingness to go that direction.

Like Carla Ann Rowland likes this
Cassandra Lloyd February 5, 2024

Can I suggest you take a look at www.lansweeper.com and our integration with Jira Assets ...Lansweeper can provide you with the discovery you are looking for and then the integration can bring that data to your Assets CMDB and help you more to Atlassian cloud. https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1231444/lansweeper-app-for-jira-service-management-assets?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Hope this was helpful

Carla Ann Rowland
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

I feel your pain as the saying goes. That is a great concern for me since all my clients use Data Center.  Just be squeaky wheel.  Before I was a community leader I kept advocating with Atlassian that Data Center/Server would not go away for many business entities --- private and government.

It is challenging because the world thinks cloud is the only answer and many entities cannot move to cloud. Don't want to lose customers to competitors.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events