Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What did other higher ed institutions with data protection requirements do for Cloud?

Jack Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2022

Hello,

My department has been running into problems transitioning from Atlassian server products to Atlassian Cloud products. Due to institutional policies and state laws, we are not able to agree to Atlassian's Data Protection Addendum. Atlassian has mentioned multiple times that they only offer their DPA and no adjustments. I'm sure other higher ed institutions have the same issues we do. How did you successfully move to the Cloud? Do you have a contract with an Atlassian Solutions partner who addressed the DPA differences you needed? 

Did you get an Enterprise Master Service Agreement in place to address issues? 

Thanks,

Jack

4 comments

Comment

Collista Lewingdon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2022

I work at a public school district and we are running into the same issue. Right now, we just have rule that no student identifiable information can be in Jira or Confluence. Sadly this is limiting how we can use the systems. We truly believe that their DPA covers what we need but since Atlassian will not sign our districts DPA I have to audit the system once a month and make sure that people are adhering to the the no student data in the system. 

Jack Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2022

Thanks for this info. Wish I was able to do even what you are. Our Procurement department needs to sign off on our Cloud move and they won't with Atlassian's DPA.

Rakesh Ramankutty October 20, 2022

Hi Jack,

We're an Atlassian solution partner from North America, please connect with me via email, connect@holographtechnologies.com we can help you out the same.

Thanks,

Rakesh Ramankutty

Jack Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2022

Hi Rakesh,

I appreciate the offer to meet. We actually contacted another solution parter this past summer based on a recommendation of another Cloud user. After providing all of our user/contract info and asking about our DPA, we basically got back that Atlassian just offered their DPA. So I'm only looking to gather feedback from other higher ed institutions while waiting for our Procurement division escalates the DPA issue.

Thanks,

Jack

Cloudites Owner
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2022

Look into Secure Custom Fields for Jira. I always include this for any education submittal to address the student PII concerns.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2022

Several partners (of which I work for one of them, so feel free to treat this as a blatant advert for Adaptavist) provide managed services for Atlassian stuff that is set up to meet legal requirements in many fields, including universities (and schools, colleges, polythechnics, health services and and and), because Cloud can't do it.

I would strongly recommend getting touch with a partner - we can either advise you on how best to set up a DC install within the data protection rules that apply to you, or host and amange it for you.

Jack Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2022

Hi Nic,

We actually contacted another solution parter this past summer based on a recommendation of another Cloud user. After providing all of our user/contract info and asking about our DPA, we basically got back that Atlassian just offered their DPA. Our goal is to move to Cloud. But should we consider Data Center I may reach back out to you.

Thanks,

Jack

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2022

Yep, that's why I mentioned it - on Cloud, you aren't going to get anything other than Atlassian's DPA.  But the partners offering managed services (i.e. running your Data Center install for you) can offer more data protection options because they have control over the installation.

Like Jack Kelly likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events