Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feature idea, similar to "find your field", for automation rules

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2024

Greetings, community!

TL;DR: what do you think about helper functions for rules to diagnose permissions / field visibility symptoms?  This could be similar to "find your field" in the Create Issue dialog.

Background:

While recently helping answer a question, I ran into the challenge of Jira permissions and automation rule behaviors.  In this case, a rule's use of JQL found issues when checked in the editor but failed to find them when rule execution happened

My understanding is when JQL is checked in the rule editor, it uses the person's permissions who is editing the rule.  But when the rule executes, it uses the rule actor's permissions.  As the Automation for Jira user's permissions cannot be checked by customers, this can be frustrating to diagnose.  Sometimes leading to contacting Atlassian Support to investigate.

The root cause for this question was the issue security schema for the project had been changed earlier.  As the issue searches with JQL worked "as designed", there were no errors to show; the only symptom was the rule silently failed to perform as expected: there were no issues found to process.  Because the schema had been changed long before the rule was created, no one thought to test all potential impacts to Jira features, particularly those not yet used (e.g., automation rules).

A potential improvement could be built-in rule diagnostics, used to identify when issues and fields are not visible to a rule.  A simpler approach could be to always test rule JQL using the actor, but that will not make root causes visible.  Instead consider a feature, like "find your field", where an example issue and field are supplied, and the reasons why they are not visible display, along with remediation actions / links.

Thanks for your thoughts on this suggestion!

1 comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2024

Hey Bill,

I think those are great suggestions. You should submit a ticket to Atlassian with those recommendations. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2024

Hi, John!

I am on a free license now and thus no longer able to submit suggestions, so I posted here instead :^)

Plus...even when I was on a Standard license, it appears customers cannot add suggestions to the AUTO backlog.  They can only add to JIRAAUTOSERVER or to the several Jira Cloud-related projects...hoping the automation product team finds them.

Kind regards,
Bill

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2024

I think if you click the Give Feedback link at the bottom left they might open a ticket for you. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events