Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Value Escaped Characters

Aron Kuch November 30, 2023

I was trying to split a string that was | delimited. Turns out .split("|") broke it into a list of individual characters. Instead .split("\|") had the intended effect.

So | requires an escape character. What other characters require escaping? Add what you have found in the comments.

1 comment

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2023

Hi @Aron Kuch 

That is an interesting question, and I also find the escape-needing characters for rules (with and without the Atlassian implementation of regular expressions) are not documented...or at least not on the automation documentation pages :^)

I wrote a quick test rule, using most of the printable characters in a created variable to drive an advanced branch, using your split("|") technique, and then used each one to split the very same string without escaping.  These are the ones which did not work at all (and so probably need to be escaped):

?
$
'
(
)
+
-
?
|

And these seem context-dependent for the string being split:

"

The remainder all seemed to work, but I would test further if I needed this for a production rule.  If you try the same test, please post what you find.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events