Jan P. asked this question · 16 karma · Mar 16 '12 at 04:01 PM
I am trying to find out if JIRA can support the following situation:
- We develop software
- It is a 'platform' used to build several 'products'
- There is a 'library', that is used in all products
- Each product implements lots of interfaces from the library (in different ways)
- The frontend is different (modified) with each product
Here it gets nasty:
- Issues (Bugs, Features, Improvements) can apply to several products
- When issues are worked on, they often are only resolved for one product, the resulting changes to be merged to other products later
- Developers shift focus from one product to another quite regularly
- The products are developed in parallel, but are not synchronized
- Versioning is not synchronized (later products start with 0.0.1 containing all the functionality the other product got in 4.x.x)
- Releases are not synchronized, but every time when "enough" issues are resolved to justify a release
- Roadmaps can be different for every product
- Products use different versions of the library at the same time
And despite this workflow me and my team need at least the following insights:
- Overview of the situation each individual product
- A changelog of all the issues that affect a version
Does JIRA support this workflow?
Additional information: Right now we are using MantisBT as our issue tracking system. After we tried the "product-matrix" plugin , that did basically what we wanted, but was not very well integrated, we thought about implementing a plugin for Mantis that would have worked the following way:
- Right now every issue has one 'version', 'target version', 'priority' and 'status'
- After the change all these 4 attributes would be children of a issue-'product'-relation
- For every issue you can choose which product it applies to
- If a product is selected for an issue, you can give it a version, target version, priority or status
- You can view only issues for one of the products
- You can generate a changelog for an individual product-version combination
But as implementing this seems like very hard and we were already thinking about moving away from Mantis (too old, too inflexible [workflow]) I thought it would be best to ask the community about better solutions to our problem.