Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May the Force Be With Your Mind: Psychological Safety at Work for #MentalHealthAwarenessMonth

Theresa McFarlane May 6, 2024

Good Day Everyone from WA. Pardon my delay in posting as I am on PST.

I want to take advantage of Miscellaneous Monday to highlight that May is Mental Health Awareness Month. 

What better way to focus on well-being than by creating a psychologically safe space at work? To keep on the quarterly theme, I am combining Star Wars and servant leadership to explore how to foster a work environment where everyone feels comfortable taking risks, sharing ideas, and learning from mistakes.

Top 10 Ways to Build Psychological Safety at Work:

1. Lead with Empathy: Channel your inner Obi-Wan Kenobi and be a wise and understanding mentor. 
  2. Celebrate Mistakes: Yoda might say, "Do. Or do not. There is no try." But we all know there's a learning curve! Celebrate effort and growth.
  3. Open Communication is Key: Just like Princess Leia relying on the Rebel Alliance, open communication is vital. Encourage questions and feedback.
  4. Focus on Strengths: Luke Skywalker wouldn't have destroyed the Death Star without the Force (and his X-wing piloting skills) and some bad PM/QA team from the Empire on not seeing the risks on that vulnerability! Recognize and leverage team member strengths and turn them into opportunities.
  5. Respect for Diversity: The Rebellion wouldn't have been successful without Wookiees, droids, and humans working together. Embrace diverse perspectives. We all don't want to be clones..just sayingleiajpg.jpg
  6. Show Appreciation: A simple "thank you" goes a long way. Just like Han Solo rewarding Chewbacca, recognize team contributions. Yes... he did get that Yavin medal. chewbacca.jpg
  7. Model Vulnerability: Even Jedi Masters make mistakes! Share your own challenges to normalize vulnerability.
  8. Focus on Learning: There's always a bigger fish to fry (or a new skill to learn). Encourage continuous learning and development.
  9. Hold Safe Spaces: Create opportunities for open and honest discussions without judgment. Think war room strategy sessions, minus the Death Star plans.
  10. Celebrate Successes: Big or small, victories deserve recognition. Party like the Ewoks after defeating the Empire!

ewokparty.jpg

Bonus: Leadership Lessons from Star Wars:

1. Mutual Trust: Luke trusted Leia and Han implicitly, just like leaders should trust their teams.
  2. Shared Goals: The Rebellion had a clear mission: defeat the Empire. Ensure everyone understands the team's objectives.
  3. Empowerment: Leia wasn't just a princess, she was a leader who empowered others (like Luke to use the Force). Let us all not forget how she was an epic boss flying through space. She was strong with the force superpowers.
  4. Transparency: Leaders like Mon Mothma kept the Rebellion informed, even during tough times.
  5. Shared Risks and Rewards: Everyone in the Rebellion faced danger together, just like high-functioning teams share risks and successes.

I don't want to forget the laid off, job seekers:

It's definitely scary and frustrating to be looking for a job right now in this tough market. Trying to land a new role is work in and of itself.

I myself have been laid off for over just shy of 6 months.

Don't give up, you are not alone.

Far too many people are going through the same thing rigth now. 

If you are employed, I would encourage you to model good servant leadership right now and check in with your network. If you are in a position to help someone get hired or network them, please do so.

Here are 5 tips to help you manage stay focused and as positive as possible on your job search:

1. Acknowledge Your Feelings: It's okay to feel frustrated! Being laid off can be stressful and the job search can be discouraging. Take some time to vent to a trusted friend or family member, or consider journaling your frustrations.
  2. Reframe Your Mindset: Instead of dwelling on the negative aspects of the market, focus on the opportunity to find a role that's a great fit for you. This could be a chance to explore a new industry or position you've always been interested in.
  3. Focus on What You Can Control: You can't control the job market, but you can control your job search strategy. Refine your resume and cover letter, practice your interviewing skills, and expand your network.
  4. Maintain a Routine: The structure of a daily routine can help combat feelings of aimlessness. Schedule specific times for job searching, networking, and self-care activities to stay productive and motivated.
  5. Celebrate Small Wins: The job search is a marathon, not a sprint. Acknowledge your accomplishments, no matter how small. Landing an interview, connecting with a new contact, or even just completing a strong application are all steps in the right direction.

Remember, there are many resources available to help you during your job search. Consider reaching out to your former employer for outplacement services, your network, or utilize online resources like government job boards or professional networking sites. Stay positive, stay focused, and keep moving forward!

May this #MentalHealthAwarenessMonth be filled with open communication, mutual respect, and a healthy dose of Star Wars inspiration! Let's create work environments where everyone feels comfortable using the Force... or at least their best ideas. 

What do you do to create psychological safety at work or for yourself during your job search?

9 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2024

@Theresa McFarlane this is an amazing post and extremely thought provoking. I'm leaving this in an open tab to read multiple times so I can internalize some of the lessons that you shared and put them in to practice. I truly appreciate you sharing this message in an entertaining and meaningful way.

Like # people like this
suze_treacy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2024

This is an awesome post @Theresa McFarlane  - thank you for taking the time to post these reminders for everyone <3

Like # people like this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2024

Again I have to say this is awesome and so happy to read it. Keep up this good work and passing on the message. I love all of these Top 10 Ways to Build Psychological Safety at Work: These seem to be values we could all live by in our daily works and life.

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2024

Thank you for taking the time to write about this subject with sensitivity and humor, @Theresa McFarlane . Sharing with my coworkers, friends, and family.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2024

Love, love, love this post! 

With working remotely, I think User Manuals have really built a shared understanding of each person and what they bring to the team. Atlassian has a User Manual Play, but we modeled our template off of Khe Hy's, which can be found here

If I feel disconnected from a colleague, I often refer to their User Manual to remind myself how they communicate best and/or other details they've chosen to share. This helps me recenter my conversations with them and feel more connected. It helps build trust and feelings of safety for myself and my colleagues.

Like # people like this
Theresa McFarlane May 7, 2024

Amanda: This is very helpful! Thank you for sharing these resources.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Stephen_Lugton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2024

Taking more of a Star Trek than a Star Wars approach, we make sure to include the Prime Directive:

"Regardless of what we discover, we understand and truly believe that everyone did the best job they could, given what they knew at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand."

--Norm Kerth, Project Retrospectives: A Handbook for Team Review

Like # people like this

Do you remember that episode of Ted where they run into the Star Wars cosplayers on the way to the Boston Comic Con and the girl they are with confuses Star Wars with Star Trek or uses them in the same sentence? Funny episode, especially where I used to live in Boston. It is so on the nose.

For the record...only TNG for me.

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2024

Today is Sprint Retro day, so this is a timely article to share with my teams. Thank you, @Theresa McFarlane 

Like # people like this

Nice one! Thank you!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 7, 2024

@Theresa McFarlane - Great one.

Vronik May 12, 2024

Respect + Empathy with that I think we already win 90% of many things

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events