Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you use team-managed projects?

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2024

Hi everybody,
during last Christmas holidays and partially in January I’ve been studying for ACP-120 certification. Team-managed projects are included in this certification, so I had to looked into them more again… and I’m still struggling… struggling to like them…

As a somebody who loves to share as much configurations as possible, it is hard for me to use them. When I set up a new Jira instance, it is usually the first thing I change - I don’t want anybody to be able to create team-managed projects - create something, which is not under admin’s control.

In my experience when our customers use them, after some time they usually ask us to convert them to company-managed projects, because they miss some functionality. I can see a lot of improvements have been implemented lately, but still it is not enough.

So, I would like to ask, when do you recommend to use team-managed projects? Under which circumstances is good to have them in your site?

Thank you!

3 comments

Comment

Susanna Babayan March 13, 2024

Hi @Hana Kučerová

As per my experience, we use team-managed when there is a team in the company that would like to customize their project to the fullest and they don't have enough access to do that for company-managed projects (since you need to edit the schemes). Plus, it's a good start for someone who has never used Jira before

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2024

Thank you.

I agree it can give you some sort of idea, how Jira works, if you don’t know it, but with all the templates and functionality available for company-managed projects I still prefer to use these for demonstrations…

Like Susanna Babayan likes this
Susanna Babayan March 17, 2024

yeah, I fully agree. I personally feel very limited with team-managed projects and I feel like I'm missing out on something big ahah

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2024

Hi @Hana Kučerová 

For better or worse, I hypothesize many customers have a TMP project even when they do not want it, as JPD seems wholly built upon it.  Anyways...

I have supported teams who are self-starters (or think they are :^) regarding agility, and they insist on having the flexibility of a TMP project to make changes immediately...such as during the standup or retro.  They do not want to wait for a Jira admin to be available to alter an issue type, field, or workflow.  They like to fail-fast, even if it clutters their project a bit by adding, removing, and re-adding something later.

Unfortunately, those TMP rapid changes can then cause problems for others, such as with saved filters.  For the teams at my last position who used TMPs, I had regular touch-base conversations with them to learn what they were trying so the admins would be better prepared to support them.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2024

Thank you.

I agree, I feel a lot of people think they need this kind of flexibility, but the changes they do are not good, because they are not experienced enough to see the consequences.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2024

Amen, sister!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 14, 2024

To be honest, I don't like them and think they usually cause more problems in the long run than they are worth. I never recommend them. But that's just me. 

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2024

It’s not only you, it’s me too :-).

Thank you.

Like John Funk likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events