Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permission to Create Projects & Spaces

Harrison Ponce March 8, 2024

Hi superstar Columbus group!!

@Brandi Guess and I have some questions for the group.

In your companies:

• Who can create new Jira projects? (Company-managed or team-managed)
    • Did you disable team-managed?
  • Who can create new Confluence (communal) spaces?

We're on the fence about letting people (non-admins) go wild and let themselves run into things that if we gatekept those permissions a bit, we could guide them up front so they have a better product experience long-term. But we also don't want it to seem like we're blocking people. Tough choices...

Thanks in advance!

- Harrison

2 comments

Comment

Devi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 8, 2024

It will depend upon how big your user group is and what kind of support framework you have for your atlassian tools.

Site admins, Jira admins are good candidates to create a project. Limiting Jira admins is also a good idea. Direction on when to create projects has to be determined.

Company managed projects are recommended for scalability reasons.

Team managed projects comes with limitation while it may look autonomous. They also come with significant performance issues because of its schema structure.  

Same with confluence, you may want to think about site spaces and personal spaces . Site spaces can be for Business units, projects , programs , teams and so on. Very rarely people use Personal spaces( and thats just my scenario)

Like # people like this
Greg Sprowls March 8, 2024

At a larger company I worked for they had an internal site created to allow users to create Jira / Confluence projects on demand.  The stipulation was that there had to be more than one administrator named on the site to ensure redundancy.  Otherwise, it was fairly open to any user creating their spaces.

Currently, it is locked down and only Jira / Confluence projects can be created if they are aligned to a cost center and product.  There is restrictions in who all can create a space.

None of these were team managed.  I think most administrators shy away from this for fear of what all users would do with that power.

92ca1aab-2c28-4e82-8eb1-fe0c4fd1979b_text

Like # people like this
Guess_ Brandi N_ March 8, 2024

What's your opinion of one vs the other, do you feel like locked down makes more sense?

Greg Sprowls March 8, 2024

I like having the option to spin up a space as needed, but I am also used to having full admin rights.  I am probably not the right audience to answer. 

Having the freedom to spin up a project for a team / purpose it great but it requires some oversight.  Projects that haven't been touched in XX months probably need to be archived / removed.  Same principle for Confluence, if it is stagnant then it most likely isn't serving a purpose.  Giving people a way to create and experiment with Jira may not be the worst thing, but again it should have safeguards in place.

I would think that the scale of the enterprise is also a consideration.  A smaller organization may want to centralize requests through an intake process and build out spaces for teams.  Larger organizations, that may be too much to manage effectively.  Hopefully this gives you some ideas / talking points to figure out what is best for your office.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events