Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thanks for the welcome to this group

davesoft11 January 9, 2023

Hi folks,

Glad to help out here. I use jira extensively. The live workflow editing and JQL are particularly powerful. There are plenty of 3rd party features that I'd like to see mainstreamed as core. And there are plenty of rough edges I'd like to see cleaned up. But overall, Jira is an amazing tool. 

Glad to help in any way I can.

3 comments

Comment

Gioele Lai January 9, 2023

Great!

Like davesoft11 likes this
Rolf Lader
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2023

Hi @davesoft11

Nice to meet you.

Are you really happy with the "live workflow editing" and don't you miss a DevOps approach to change workflows and other Jira objects like custom fields, screens, field configurations, statuses and issue types in a development environment and push these changes to the production environment after an approval?

Till then, Rolf

davesoft11 January 9, 2023

Are you really happy with the "live workflow editing" and don't you miss a DevOps approach

Good quesiton, @Rolf Lader , and I set myself up for that one by mentioning a huge topic in a context that's probably not appropriate :-)

Yes, of course, we would prefer to have a way to stage the change. In my case, I'm the jira admin and the PM, and so "approval" is not the concern. But there is concern about introducing a regression by making such "live" changes, and clearance by a QA team. Jira does try to help with workflows by saving a copy of them; other kinds of changes are not presented with that type of support. And none of this is as good as a true staging setup, such as Blue/Green.

But it turns out we're off topic, because that's not what I meant by "live" :-) My fault for not being more clear. By "live" I didn't mean without staging it first. What I meant is that Jira provides mechanisms to handle Issues that are in-progress traversing a workflow at the time the workflow change is made. Likewise, they have support for properly deleting Issue Types completely, moving Issues to new Issue Types that have incompatible workflows, and so on. So maybe instead of "live" I should have said "in place". Tools that permit schema changes underneath thousands of active Issues, while not breaking referential integrity, are extremely useful in the real-world. It's like changing the dining room carpet while people are sitting there eating dinner. 

Very handy!

Nice meeting you as well!

Like Rolf Lader likes this
Rolf Lader
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2023

Hello @davesoft11 

You are absolutely right about that. And this achievement that Atlassian has made here is not sufficiently appreciated. Because without this implicit referential integrity, our lives as Jira administrators would be a lot more difficult.

But again. Welcome to the community :o)

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2023

Welcome to this group, @davesoft11!

We are glad to have you here!

Jope you have a great sharing and learning experience here!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events